Senior Residential Child Care Worker (North Lodge)
Shifts: 40 Hours contract Mixed shifts (Early, Lates and Nights)
Job Type: Permanent
Salary Scale £31,325
*£500 Welcome Bonus *£1000 Recommend A Friend Bonus!
Spark of Genius is one of Scotland’s largest residential child care providers. For over 25 years, we have been delivering high quality care to young people who need to be looked after. Spark of Genius is also part of the UK-wide CareTech family who are committed to providing each child with opportunities to have their individual needs met.
About the Service
North Lodge offers a nurturing & therapeutic environment for children and young people with diagnosis & additional learning needs.
Our home prides itself in following the latest guidance and research to embed the ‘Promise’ and trauma informed practice, investing in our team to ensure they have the appropriate training in order to ensure best practice is followed and to understand and manage trauma related processes for our children and young people with adverse childhood experiences while offering a nurture-based approach to feel a sense of belonging and security.
We have positive and strong links with parents/carers, health professionals and other external agencies always striving for our young people to feel success and achieve positive outcomes.
In your new role
This is an opportunity to be part of a dedicated and trauma-informed team, and to work directly with young people with a range of complex needs connected to their individual life experiences and childhood adversity.
This is also a chance to make a difference to outcomes for young people! Our mission is to make Every Second Count, to help us succeed you will:
- Provide a supervisory and mentoring role to RCCWs who will be providing a caring role to our Young people.
- Take responsibility for practice development of the care team including allocated supervision and performance management of staff.
- Ensure that the care team have the skills, knowledge and ability to care for children and young people effectively.
- Ensuring that staff understand and are fully aware of the daily routines of the home.
- Support on call arrangements as a Senior Member of the team.
- Assist with management tasks including finance, fleet, environment and Health and Safety, staffing matters including absence, recruitment, training and development.
- Contribute to assessment and care plan arrangements, participating in reviews and other meetings as necessary.
- Ensure both local authority and internal care plans are in place and that staff fully understand their role
- Deputise in the absence of the management team, where necessary.
- Ensure staff are aware of and deliver the support required to ensure the life chance opportunities of the young people for their social, educational, leisure, emotional, physical, and cultural needs are met.
- Safeguard and promote the welfare of children and young people.
- Promote and actively encourage the delivery of a safe, structured and nurturing environment
You will ideally have:
- A minimum of 2 years experiences as Residential Child Care Worker
- High standard of reporting and recording.
- Experience of working in a mentoring role.
- Wide knowledge of the behaviours displayed by children and young people and an understanding of a myriad of intervention strategies
- Wide knowledge of the behaviours displayed by children and young people and an
- Working Knowledge of legislation in relation to child care including National Care Standards and Child protection.
- An understanding of the process of child development.
- Knowledge of how to apply systems and processes within residential homes that are compliant with the national care standards
- Ability to work shifts including evening and weekends
- An ability to assist in on call arrangements to meet business need.
As part of this role, we offer a range of specialist training programmes to support you in your work and invest in your professional development. These include:
- Fully Paid induction programme
- Every Second Counts: bespoke training on the role of a residential childcare worker
- Therapeutic crisis intervention training to assist young people in regulating their emotions when they are in crisis.
- Child protection training
- Relax kids training
- Attachment and trauma training
- Full suite of e-learning modules available that provide continuous knowledge and development.
In support and recognition of our colleagues who will help us deliver our employer strategy, we offer a fantastic benefits package. This includes;
- Full Time Contract
- Competitive Rates of Pay
- Free PVG check
- Pension Scheme
- Free Training
- Paid Induction
- *£1000 Recommend A Friend Bonus!
- *£500 Welcome Bonus
Due to the nature of the role, it will be necessary for all Residential Childcare Workers to be subject to a Protecting Vulnerable Groups (PVG) check by Disclosure Scotland and achieve membership of the scheme prior to commencing work with us. CareTech will cover the cost of this check.
Any data received in applications will be used for recruitment purposes within Spark of Genius and CareTech only.
Recruitment Paperwork and Policies
- Guidance Notes Scotland86KB
- Guidance Notes England46KB
- Equal Opportunities Policy474KB
- Recruitment of Ex-offenders Policy Scotland94KB
- Recruitment of Ex-offenders Policy England70KB
- Protection of Children and Young People Policy88KB
- DBS Policy86KB
- Vision and Aims76KB
- Evidence of Proof to Work in the UK26KB